The world introvert day is celebrated on the 2nd of January every year. Perhaps the day helps people recharge after the New Year celebrations. It’s the day set aside to raise awareness of introverts in a world that often values extrovert qualities.
But before you celebrate World Introvert Day, do you know your personality? Whether you’re an introvert or extrovert, it’s a journey of self-discovery that involves exploration and self-reflection.
Join our Spotcovery Global Black Community Facebook Group for early access to exclusive content and to share in a lively discussion.
Who Are Introverts?
Types of Introverts. Video Credit: Psych2Go
People fall along a spectrum between introversion and extroversion. An introvert is an inward-focused person. One who prefers solitary activities or small group gatherings over large gatherings. They gain energy from spending time alone and are introspective.
If you’re one, don’t think of yourself as shy, boring, or socially anxious. Rather see yourself as a person who prefers selective socializing and smaller, calmer environments. Introverts value deep and meaningful connections over superficial interactions.
How to Know Your Personality
Let’s explore five ways to know your personality.
People Also Read: 8 Inspiring Productivity Books by Black Authors
Self-reflection is searching inward and examining your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. It’s like taking a mental inventory of yourself, trying to understand what makes you tick. Self-reflection can be achieved through:
- Mindfulness and introspection: Take time each day to simply observe your thoughts, feelings, and reactions to different situations. Journaling can be a great tool for capturing these reflections. Check out journals on Amazon.
- Values and motivations: Consider what’s truly important to you. What drives you? What brings you joy? What brings you peace? Understanding your values can give you insight into your core personality.
- Strengths and weaknesses: Identify your natural talents and skills, and areas where you struggle. Recognizing your strengths boosts your confidence, and knowing your weaknesses allows you to work on them.
Seek feedback from friends, family, and colleagues about your personality. Ask for honest opinions on your strengths, areas for improvement, and how you interact with others.
- Ask loved ones: Seek honest feedback from close friends, family, or colleagues. How do they see you? What are your strengths and weaknesses from their perspective? Remember to approach this with an open mind and focus on constructive feedback.
- Life experiences: Analyze how you react to different situations and challenges in life. Do you thrive in social settings or prefer quieter activities? Do you make decisions quickly or take time to analyze? Your experiences can reveal a lot about your personality.
People Also Read: 7 Amazing Podcasts on Black Health Matters
Personality Tests and Assessments
Personality tests and assessments can be valuable tools to gain insights into various aspects of your personality. However, they aren’t definitive or exhaustive. Use them as one of many tools for self-discovery and personal development.
There are numerous tests with their own focus and methodology. Choose a reputable one that aligns with your interests. Besides, understand the test and answer honestly. Once you receive your results, take the time to reflect on them and use them for your growth.
The commonly used personal tests and assessments are:
- The Hogan Personality Inventory(HPI)
- DISC test
- Eysenck Personality Questionnaire(EPQ)
- Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI)
- 16 Personality Factor Questionnaire (16PF)
Read About Personality Types
Learn about the specific personality type or traits. Besides deepening your understanding, it’ll also provide practical insights into your communication style, decision-making processes, and relationships.
Seek to explore the literature on personality types, psychology, and self-development. There are books and articles with insights into different personality traits. Alongside, they help you relate them to your own experiences. Check the diverse collection of books on Amazon.
Explore and Experiment
- Step outside your comfort zone: Try new things, meet new people, and explore different hobbies. Exposing yourself to new experiences reveals hidden aspects of your personality.
- Creative expression: Engage in activities like writing, painting, or music. Creative expressions provide a window into your emotional world and inner thoughts.
- Pay attention to your reactions: Observe how you react to different stimuli, like music, movies, or even the natural world. Your preferences can reveal hidden depths of your personality.
People Also Read: Traveling Alone: 7 Reasons Why It’s Good for Your Soul
Why Should You Celebrate World Introvert Day?
The Power of Introverts. Video Credit: BBC Ideas
Here are three reasons why you should mark the World Introvert Day:
- To create awareness: This day aims to bring a positive light to introversion, often misunderstood as shyness or social awkwardness. It reminds everyone that introverts possess unique strengths and perspectives worth appreciating.
- For acceptance: It encourages acceptance of introverts’ natural need for solitude and quiet time. Introverts often face pressure to conform to extroverted norms, and this day emphasizes that their preferences are valid and valuable.
- Just to celebrate: Ultimately, it’s a day for introverts to embrace their strengths and enjoy their preferred ways of living, whether it’s reading a good book, enjoying solo hobbies, or simply savoring the peace and quiet.
People Also Read: 5 Best Destinations for Solo Travel in Africa
How Introverts Can Celebrate Their Day
As an introvert, you can celebrate Introvert Day by recharging yourself through;
- Indulging in some solo activities you truly enjoy.
- Unplug from social media and have a digital cleanup.
- Take a nap, meditate, or simply spend time in your pajamas, rest and relax.
Another way to celebrate is connecting with other introverts. For instance;
- You can have a virtual meetup with a forum for introverts.
- You can have a book club.
- Enjoy a board game night.
Celebrate your introverted strengths through creative expressions. For example, write, paint, compose music, or simply express yourself in an authentic way. Treat yourself to self-care activities that pamper your mind and body. Appreciate your introspective nature and embrace your unique perspective.
Lastly, celebrate this day by spreading awareness. Share introverts’ articles and quotes. Organize local events to talk about introverted people.
People Also Read: Solo Female Travel in Morocco- 7 Must-See Places- Safety Tips
Remember, as you celebrate World Introvert Day, your personality is dynamic. It can evolve and change over time as you learn more about yourself. The key is to embrace the journey of self-discovery and enjoy knowing who you truly are.
Nearly 80% of consumers visit directories with reviews to find a local business. List your business for free in our exclusive Spotcovery Black-Owned Business Directory.
Spotcovery offers unique and fresh daily content on Black culture, lifestyle, and experiences. We talk about everything black, black people, black-owned and black-owned businesses. We also deliver authentic and relevant content that will inform, inspire and empower you! The future of black media is critical to today’s black experience! Our primary audience includes African Americans, Africans, Afro-Caribbean, and people of African heritage. Black culture is for the culture!