Belly fat is the most common type of fat in the body. It’s especially problematic for women. Most women experience belly fat due to weight gain during pregnancy or their diet. Whatever the cause, losing belly fat can be one of the best things you can do for your health. However, it’s important not to lose sight of the other benefits that exercise has to offer. Learn about 10 exercises to lose belly fat at home here.
10 Exercises To Lose Belly Fat at Home
Due to the fact that belly fat sticks to the waistline and stomach region, abdominal exercises are helpful in combating it. While providing you with a good source of exercise, they can help tone and flatten your stomach.
These exercises are great for men and women of any age. Some exercises to lose belly fat at home include:
1. Brisk Walking
Include at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercises, such as walking, in your daily routine to start losing belly fat. Studies show that aerobic exercises for belly fat help reduce belly and liver fat.
A 30- to 45-minute brisk walk in the morning, four to five times per week, will help you burn fat. If you are unable to go for a brisk walk in the morning, you can always do so in the evening.
2. Leg Raise
Leg raises are one of the most effective exercises to lose belly fat at home. With consistency, leg raises could help you lose belly fat within a few months. This exercise targets the lower abs, hamstrings, upper abs, glutes, and quads.
How To Do Leg Raise
- Lie down on a mat. Place your palms flat on the floor, close to your hips. Lift your feet off the floor slightly, look up at the ceiling, and engage your core. This is how you position yourself.
- Raise both your legs to 90 degrees and slowly bring them back down.
- Right before touching the floor, raise your legs again. Do 3 sets of 15 to 30 reps, taking 15 seconds to warm up between each.
3. Scissor Kicks
Scissor kicks work on your lower abs, upper abs, glutes, hamstrings, quads, and core. It entails alternately moving your legs up and down in a scissor motion. Despite providing workouts that reduce belly fat, they also strengthen your hip flexors.
How To Do Scissor Kicks
- Lie down on a mat facing the sky. Place your palms under your hips.
- Slightly lift your head, upper back, and legs off the floor. This is the starting position.
- Lower your left leg. Just before it touches the floor, lift your left leg and lower your right leg.
- Do this 12 times to complete one set. Do 3 sets of 12 reps. Take a 20-second warm-up break before moving on to the next exercise
It’s tempting to hold your breath while doing scissor kicks but avoid it.
4. Heel Touch
Heel touch is a fun way to burn your belly fat at home. The exercise targets your obliques and upper abs.
How To Do Heel Touch
- Lie down on a mat. Keep your legs flexed, and feet wider than shoulder-width apart. Do not place your feet too close to your hips.
- Keep your hands by your side, chin up, shoulders relaxed, and core engaged.
- Bend sideways and try to touch your right heel with your right hand.
- Bend toward the other side and try to touch your left heel with your left hand.
- Do 20 of these to finish one set. Do 3 sets of 20 reps. Take a 20-second break before moving on to the next exercise.
5. Crossbody Mountain Climber
Crossbody mountain climber belly fat exercise is like climbing a mountain. The exercise target the rectus abdominis, shoulders, core, glutes, hamstrings, and quads.
How To Do Crossbody Mountain Climber
- Take up the push-up position. Make sure your elbows are directly below your shoulders. Keep your neck, back, and hips in a straight line. Do not place your palms too far away from your body, and keep your neck and lower back straight.
- Lift your right foot off the floor, flex your knee and bring it close to the right side of your chest.
- Place the right foot back in its starting position. Now, lift your left foot off the floor, flex your knee and bring it close to the left side of your chest.
- Speed up and do it as if you are running! Do 2 sets of 25 reps. Take a 20-second break before doing the next exercise.
Join our Spotcovery Global Black Community Facebook Group for early access to exclusive content and share in a lively discussion.
Crunches help you to burn fats targeting your lower and upper abs. It’s also a useful exercise for belly fat. With 15 minutes of consistency daily, I can assure you of a flat tummy within weeks.
How To Do Crunches
- Lie down on a mat facing the ceiling, flex your knees, and place your feet on the floor.
- Place your palms at the back of your head, holding the back of your head.
- Lift your head slightly off the floor. This is the starting position.
- Curl up and aim to get your head to your knees to start the action.
- Initiate the movement by curling up and trying to reach your knees with your head.
- Hold up when you almost reach your knees. You’ll feel contractions in your lower abs
- Go back to the starting position.
- Repeat the process
- Make sure you inhale while curling up and exhale while going down. Do 2 sets of 15 to 30 reps.
7. Bicycle Crunch
Bicycle crunches are exercises for belly fat targeting your rectus abdominis, obliques, glutes, hamstrings, and quads. It’s an efficacious way to have fun while losing belly fat
How To Do Bicycle Crunch
- Lie down on a mat facing the ceiling or sky, flex your knees, and lift your feet off the floor.
- At the back of each ear, place a thumb. With your remaining fingers, hold the back of your head. Lift your head off the floor.
- Push your left leg down and extend it straight. Simultaneously, curl up and twist to your right. Try to touch your left elbow with your right knee.
- Reverse your posture and flex your left leg once more.
- Repeat with the other leg. Do 2 sets of 15 reps. Take a 15-second break before doing the next exercise.
8. Sit Ups
Sit-up exercises are easy to do and can incorporate in a fun way while listening to your favourite tubes, for example. This exercise is for the belly target primarily the rectus abdominis.
How To Do Sit Ups
- Lie on a mat, flex your knees, and place your heels on the mat. Engage your core and place your hands at the back of your head. Lift your head and shoulders off the floor looking at the ceiling.
- Use your core strength to lift your body off the floor and come to a sitting position.
- Go back down to the starting position slowly. Do 2 sets of 15 reps.
It’s possible to mix up crunches and sit-ups. Recognize that you must literally sit up and return to the beginning position when performing sit-ups. While sitting upright, your elbows don’t have to be near your knees.
Planks target your rectus abdominis, shoulders, biceps, and glutes. Planks help improve your posture, provide flexibility, help reduce belly fat, and can help strengthen your core. Also, planks reduce joint and back pain.
How To Do Planks
- Kneel down on a mat.
- Place your elbows on the mat.
- Extend your right leg back, then your left leg.
- Keep your neck, back, and hips in the same line. Keep your core engaged.
- Hold this pose for at least 30 seconds. Do 3 sets of 30-60 seconds hold.
Let me start by saying burpees are tough to do, but with a few days of consistency, exercise becomes a healthy habit. Burpees are a full-body workout that also targets your abs. Since burpees involve explosive jump training, they’ll get your heart pumping too.
How To Do Burpees
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your knees and place your hands on the floor. To make things clear, let’s name the “frog” posture.
- Jump and push both your legs back and get into a plank or push-up position.
- Hop and get back to the “frog” position.
- Jump vertically and extend your hands above your head.
- Land softly on the floor.
- Get into the frog position again, and repeat step 3.
- Do 3 sets of 10 reps. Take a 10-second break between the sets. Also, take a 20-second break before moving on to the next exercise.
The number of burpees you do does not matter. What matters is how many you do while maintaining correct posture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the best exercise to lose belly fat?
A: There are several exercises that can help you lose belly fat. Some of these are brisk walking, crunches, planks, crossbody mountain climbers, heel touches, and burpees.
Q: Do sit up burn belly fat?
A: Yes. Sit ups are great for tightening your core. They strengthen and tone your rectus abdominus, transverse abdominus and oblique abdominal muscles as well as your neck muscles.
Q: What causes belly fat?
A: If you eat too much and exercise too little, you’re likely to carry excess weight, including belly fat. Also, your muscle mass might diminish slightly with age while fat increases.
Q: What exercise burns the most belly fat at home?
A: The most effective exercise to burn stomach fat is crunches. Crunches rank first when we talk of fat-burning exercises. You can start by lying down flat with your knees bent and your feet on the ground. Lift your hands and then place them behind the head
While it’s vital to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day in a reasonable manner, you shouldn’t overdo it or push yourself too hard. Your body may occasionally produce too much cortisol if you overexercise.
Overtraining may actually make losing belly fat more challenging because this stress hormone is linked to belly fat. Just remember to follow the guidelines for regular, moderate activity, and consult your doctor if you have any concerns about how else your exercise program may help you lose weight.
Read also: 7 Black Female Fitness YouTubers to Follow for At-Home Workouts
Nearly 80% of consumers turn to directories with reviews to find a local business. List your business for free in our exclusive Spotcovery Black-Owned Business Directory.