Patrick Mahomes has lighted up the National Football League (NFL) since he joined in 2017. During this period, he’s established himself as one of the best quarterbacks in the league. At 22, Kansas City Chiefs drafted him as a round 1, 10th pick and are now benefiting from his talents. Let’s look at Patrick Mahomes’ career stats to demonstrate how crucial he is to the team.
People Also Read: 9 NFL Players From Africa You Should Know
Patrick Mahomes’ First NFL Season
Patrick Mahomes played his first NFL match in 2018 against the Denver Broncos. During this time, he completed 22 passes and contributed to the teams’ 27-24 win. At this point, he was a backup quarterback to Alex Smith, who was traded to the Washington Redskins. As a result, this effectively made him the Chief’s starting quarterback.
He was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week in his first game as a starting QB. He had a record of 127.5 passer rating, and threw 256 yards. Similarly, he made four touchdowns without any of them getting intercepted
If you thought that this was a fluke, Mahomes produced equally good stats in his next game, he made six touchdowns, a 154.8 pass rate and threw 326 yards. He finished the season with 50 touchdowns and threw over 5, 000 yards, the first QB to do so. Consequently, Mahomes was named the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the season.
Mahomes also bagged the NFL passing touchdown leader and the Offensive Player of the Year.
Join our Spotcovery Global Black Community Facebook Group for early access to exclusive content and to share in a lively discussion.
In 2017, Patrick Mahomes signed a four-year contract at Kansas City Chiefs worth $16.4 million. After an impressive debut season, he kept up his performances and has proven to be the right investment for the Chiefs.
He’s a two-time `Super Bowl champion, winning in 2020 (LIV) and 2022 (LVII). In both games, he was named the MVP.
After six stellar seasons, Kansas City Chiefs rewarded him with a 10-year contract worth $477 million in 2020, the largest in NFL history. The following stats justify why his employer made the decision.
- Patrick Mahomes is the youngest quarterback ever to be named Super Bowl MVP. He achieved this after the Kansas City Chiefs claimed Super Bowl LIV.
- At 25 years and 143 days, he broke Russell Wilson’s record and became the youngest quarterback to play in two Super Bowls. Russell was 26 years and 64 days old.
- Mahomes recorded over 4000 passing yards in his first three seasons. Only former quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Dan Marino had done this.
- He recorded over 300 yards passing games in his first three NFL seasons to equal Kurt Warner.
- In the 2019 season, he broke Peyton Manning’s record when he threw 1,831 yards without an interception. Manning threw 1,744 yards.
- He’s the fastest quarterback to reach 10,000 passing yards. It took him only 34 games, two fewer than Kurt Warner, to achieve this.
- It took Patrick Mahomes 30 games to reach 9,238 yards and 75 touchdowns.
- He reached the 4,000 passing-yard mark in just 13 games.
People Also Read: Cam Newton’s Net Worth
Patrick Mahomes’ has a glamorous stats record. We could go on and on but the numbers we’ve stated above show how good he is. As of 2023, he’s 28 years old. His contract runs until 2033 and by then, he’ll be 38. We bet he’ll have set more records and reshaped the debate around the greatest quarterback in the NFL.
Nearly 80% of consumers visit directories with reviews to find a local business. List your business for free in our exclusive Spotcovery Black-Owned Business Directory.
Spotcovery offers unique and fresh daily content on Black culture, lifestyle, and experiences. We talk about everything black, black people, black-owned and black-owned businesses. We also deliver authentic and relevant content that will inform, inspire and empower you! The future of black media is critical to today’s black experience! Our primary audience includes African American, African, Afro-Caribbean, and people of African heritage. Black culture is for the culture!